Saturday, May 4, 2013

Fourth of May: Favorite book quote and why

Once upon a time, I totally just did somethig like this! Like, two weeks ago. So, you can check that one out here. But, it's not necessarily my FAAAAVORITE book quote ever. Which, is hard to choose, by the way, because of these:


I literally have at LEAST four notebooks FULL of quotes from books, movies, pinterest, other various random internet places, television; EVERYWHERE. And also a box full of church-y quotes too. I have ALL THAT to choose from, people. So basically... you're getting more than one. :D

First one, that I specifically set out in search for, but then found the others along the way:

     "What you have to decide, is how you want your life to be. If your forever was ending tomorrow, would this be how you'd want to have spent it?"  -Kristy, "The truth about Forever", by Sarah Dessen

I have loved this quote since the first time of MANY reading this book. So, probably around the time that I was fourteen? It's a good reminder that we can ALWAYS change what we're doing. If we want to be doing something more fun or "less boring" or whatever, then we have to be the one to change that. We have the power to decide what our life is going to be like. Also, I'm just going to take this moment to tell you (again) that Sarah Dessen is amazing and great and I love her books. Except Dreamland... and one other, but I can never remember which one. :) NEXT!

     "We read to learn and to grow, to laugh, to be motivated and to understand things we've never been exposed to. We read for strength to help us when we feel broken, discouraged or afraid. We read to find hope. We read because we're not just made up of skin and bones, and a deep need for chocolate, but we're also made up of words, words which describe our thoughts and what's hidden in our hearts."
                          -Joan Bauer

Not technically from a book, but she writes books... And it's ABOUT books. So there. This quote is pretty self explanatory, I think. I really love reading and this mostly sums up a lot of the reasons why. I think reading in SOME form or another is an essential part of who you are and who you can/will become. NEXT!


And just like... this entire book. I love it a lot. I'm re-reading it at the moment, and I can see the movie in my head as I read and I know how they changed the lines and which lines they changed to fit the movie format better and things like that. I'm just KIND OF obsessed. Also, see all those sticky's? Quotes that I marked to be copied into my notebooks. :)

... The next one is a longun.

"I made you different from the others. On the planet Earth, there has never been one like you and there never will be again. Your spirit, your thoughts and feelings, your ability to reason-- all exist in no one else. Your eyes are a masterpiece, incomparable, and windows to a soul that is so uniquely yours. A single strand of your hair has been created especially for you. Of the multitudes who have come before you and the multitudes who may follow, not one of them duplicates the formula with which I made you. I made you different from the others. The blood that flows through your veins flows through the heart of one whom I have chosen. The rareties that make you one of a kind, my child, are no mere accident or quirk of fate. I made you different in order that you might make a difference. [You have been created with the ability to change the world. Every single choice you make, every single action you take... matters. But remember, the converse is also true. Every choice you do not make, every action you do not take... matters just as much! Your actions cannot be hoarded, saved for later, or used selectively. By your hand, millions of lives will be altered, caught up in a chain of events begun by you this very day. But the opposite is true as well. Millions of lives are also altered, caught up in an entirely different chain of events-- if you choose to wait. You possess the power of choice. Free will. You have been given everything you need to act, but the choice is yours alone. And beginning this very moment, you will choose wisely.] Now go. And never feel inadequate again. Do not dwell in thoughts of insignificance or wander aimlessley, lost, like a sheep. You are powerful. You matter. And you have been found. You are my choice."
               -Alfred Vanderbuilt, "The Lost Choice", Andy Andrews 

This is from a book that I read my senior year for my college writing class. Never did I expect to find something in a book from that class that affected me so much as this did here. I memorized part of it for my Mythology class to recite as part of our Mead of Poetry. It was one of the most intense moments of my entire high school existence. We had the lights off, and before each of us read, we drank the Mead (which had cow's blood in it, but it pretty much just tasted like grape juice) and the class was in a circle facing the reciter. I read the parts that I separated with [] those, I THINK. Or most of that part, at least. And the air in that room was just... charged. My teacher asked me to finish it, since she had a copy of the entire thing in front of her. And WHEW. It was amazing. So, that's what makes this one of my favorite book quotes; the quote itself, but also the experience that goes with it.

There you have it! Three out of what feels like BILLIONS. And I had a lot to choose from here! It was HARD. Well anyway, I hope you enjoyed!

Cheers,
     Reille K.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me. :)