Sunday, October 21, 2012

Perks.

I finally went and saw The Perks of Being a Wallflower. FINALLY. I've been waiting for this for a year, guys. How the heck did I even know about it, you ask? Four words. I love Logan Lerman. Love him. So, I was imdb-ing him in yearbook last fall and I noticed this new movie he was working on. I continued to research it, and I fell in love. Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, other humans that are pretty great but of less note, and a great story! What could be better?!

The movie: It was a perfect balance of artsy and mainstream entertainment. I read the book first, by the way. Which is also really good also, very worth the read, and it's really short (really short in my brain is like, less than 250 pages. Is that normal? Maybe), I believe it's approximately 211 pages. The overall message fits perfectly with my life right now (mostly) too. The back cover of the book says this: "Standing on the fringes of life... offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor." Great, right? I've really been trying to get out there a little more, instead of having all the same, really great, people that have been in my life for a long long time and never having any variety or meeting new people. So, yay for personal connections to literature and entertainment!

Since the author of the book, Stephen Chbosky, also wrote the screenplay. And directed the movie. And produced the movie. There were no huge discrepancies akin to some in say... Harry Potter. It was very well adapted from pages to screen. Fantastic.

I highly recommend it. GO. SEE. IT. As soon as you can, really. And for now, I'll leave you with a few favorite quotes from the book.

"Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve." (p. 24)

"And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." (p. 39) -- These moments are seriously the BEST. Go experience one.

"I'm going to do what I want to do. I'm going to be who I really am. And I'm going to figure out what that is. But right now I'm here with you. And I want to know where you are, what you need, and what you want to do." (p. 202) --This quote. Is the best. I really really really love it for some reason. It plucks at the guitar strings that is my life. Ew, cheesy.

"So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them." (p. 211)

Cheers,
       Reille K.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me. :)