Sunday, October 27, 2013

Let's Chat for a Minute

I KNOW. I DIDN'T POST YESTERDAY. I was busy living my life, my apologies. But, I'm giving you a serious-town big girl blog post to make up for it!

I've been pondering this topic a lot lately, but, to fully understand where I'm coming from, I think we need to rewind back to when I met Rob (Rob is Clayton's fiancĂ©e, Clayton is my bestie). We were discussing how someone could go from being totally cool with someone close to them being Gay to not being cool with it at all. I remember making the comment, "I don't understand how people can be so malleable,". Clayton and Rob both liked that comment and blah blah blah, that part is all that pertains to this chat of ours here. And by chat, I mean, I'm typing at you.

They made that comment significant to me, and I have thought about it off and on since that night. I looked up the definition of malleable and found this:

Malleable:
adjective
1. capable of being extended or shaped by hammering or by pressure from rollers.
2. adaptable or tractable: the malleable mind of a child.

Synonyms: impressionable, moldable, flexible, pliable.

Okay, so we understand WHAT malleable means now, let's go back to that first comment, "I don't understand how people can be so malleable,". As I've thought about this, I've realized, I was wrong! DUH, people HAVE to be malleable. The people that AREN'T malleable are those ones that drive the people around them absolutely bonkers because they won't listen to what other people have to say, won't consider any opinion besides their own, or ALWAYS have to be correct. In other words, the worst kind of closed-mindedness. The rude kind.

We are all humans, right? So in turn, we are all malleable. We are changed by what we see, hear, feel, touch. We grow and learn and develop. We are all malleable! And, in realizing this, I've also realized that this can be for the good and also for the bad. We can be influenced by the good and great and wonderful and in turn become more good and great and wonderful; OR we can be influenced by the awful and evil and mean and become more awful and evil and mean. That's why it is so important that we pay attention to what we are letting influence us in the books we read, the people we surround ourselves with, the music we listen to, the movies we watch... basically, all the general INPUT that we receive, so we can in turn, have a desirable OUTPUT. Ya feel me?

I just want to challenge each of you to evaluate your input. Evaluate those things that are molding you even when you are unaware of it. Are those things that you feel are good and great and wonderful? Are those things that you want to carry with you for the rest of your life?

I hope everyone has a great week!

Cheers,
     Reille K.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me. :)