Tuesday, October 22, 2013

5 things... I love about being LDS.

Or, for those of you who don't know what "LDS" is, MORMON (you never know who might see this, so best to cover ALL the bases).

I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and I absolutely love it. I am far from perfect, but I know that that's okay! That's what I'm here to do, strive to become better. Here are 5 specific things that I love about the Gospel.

1. I love... going to the Temple. It's my absolute favorite, I think. It's so peaceful there and I just... I feel so close to heaven. PLUS, I get to be part of giving people the gift of sacred ordinances that they missed out on during their mortal life. Even if they don't accept it on the other side, I know that I'm being of service to them. Also, sometimes there are cute boys there... performing the ordinances and then you can look at their nametag and come home to Facebook stalk them! Did I actually do this today? Yes, yes I did. He's leaving for his mission in a week from tomorrow, so nothing is going to happen, but HEY, it was an educational experience. :)

2. I love... that we get to take the Sacrament every Sunday and renew covenants that we've made. It wasn't until I really USED the Atonement in a big way, that I understood how amazing this opportunity is. It's become my favorite part of church, and, not to sound... conceited? I'm really proud of myself for getting to this point. The way I got here wasn't ideal, but, it's part of me now, and I wouldn't be where I am without it.

3. I love... that Families are Forever. Because I love my family to pieces, and we're all far away from each other. So it's nice to know that even with all that, we still have eternity to be together and we can probably play all the card games and make all the crafts we've ever wanted to when we're all in heaven.

4. I love... the knowledge that I have of the after-life. This year, I think I've finally figured it out. I finally GOT IT, the concept of being so extremely happy and excited for people that die. It sounds really cold, but it's actually the complete opposite of that. They don't have to experience all the horrible things that are in this world anymore, and they get to be reunited with loved ones. It's AWFUL to be left behind, but, those left behind just aren't ready yet. My dad said something when his Mom died earlier this year that really stuck with me. I asked him if he was sad that his mom died, and he replied, "No, it's not my life to be sad over. I have no ownership over it." And it's true. Plus, in her situation, I was overjoyed with her and was wishing that I could witness the reunion between her and my grandpa. He died in 1957... or maybe '58? So she's been alone for a LOOONG time.

5. I love... that in this Gospel, no matter who you are or where you're from, we're all friends. We understand that we all have a common goal, and even if you have nothing else in common with someone, you have THIS. And THIS is a pretty big thing. Lately, I've been feeling this the most when I go to the temple. Anyone that passes as I'm walking in and out always greets me, even though we are virtually strangers. All the temple workers themselves act as if they were expecting you to come calling. I just love all the friendliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me. :)