Thursday, July 4, 2013

Bloody.

Since I'm sure you're all DYING to hear about my phlebotomy experience. Here it is.

We started out just learning away and I LOVED it. It felt good to be focusing my energies on something so... worthwhile. While it isn't something as crazy important in the medical field as say, a doctor or surgeon, it's still a vital role. As simple as it sounds, there are a lot of things that could go wrong and permanently affect people. It's very important to have correctly trained phlebotomists.

Anyway. Rant-esque passage over.

I couldn't wait to get out there and get to it.

The first night of live practice, I wasn't perfect and that was devastating to me. Which, is silly, I know. But it's really hard for me when I don't get something right away, because I usually do. And I went home and bawled my eyes out. Truth. I finally realized that I hadn't prayed about any part of the class, and I did that and immediately felt so much better about everything. I had been feeling like I had failed and I would never improve and my life was over. Not QUITE that dramatic, but, close enough. ;)

The class went on and it was a crazy ride. The first night of volunteers, my volunteer bailed on me without telling me until I was literally, getting on the freeway. Luckily Meg was available. Seriously, I was livid. But it all worked out.

Then, I was STRUGGLIN' with all the hand sticks. Even still, I'm definitely not nearly as confident with them as I am with AC sticks. (AC is short for Antecubital Fossa, which is the elbow crease where they GENERALLY take blood from). They're reals hard for me. And I hate doing them. Ha! But seriously. Last resort for this lady. But, I finally FINALLY got them all done at the beginning of this week. It was definitely a struggle, but it all worked out. 


My first IV was a little bit of a struggle, I ended up infiltrating the vein, which means that I went through both sides of the vein so the saline solution just goes into the tissue when you're testing it. Which means that the medications and such that you'll be putting into the vein will too. Then, the second IV went well, besides that I didn't occlude the vein hard enough, so she bled out of the catheter a little bit. Then she went into shock, so, that was a little stressful, but it was also hilarious. She was saying the silliest things and I'm glad that I had an instructor there the first time I had someone go into shock. 

My second IV though went perfectly. NO DROPS OF BLOOD CAME OUT OF THE CATHETER!!! It was magical, guys. I felt so dang accomplished when I finished it. Whew! 

It was a really great experience, and it's changed me in ways I never really expected. My life is completely different, and it's kind of weird. It'll also be really weird to have my nights back and not have to drive to and from Lehi every day. 

I still have Nationals, which is at the end of the month. So, I'll be continuing to study study study until then. But, guys! I'm a certified Phlebotomist! 

YAY!

Thanks for stopping by, have a good day! 

Mmmmkaylikeyoubyeeeee!

Cheers,
    Reille K. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me. :)