Wednesday, August 6, 2014

how did I get here?

If you would have told me five years ago that this is where I would be, I would have laughed right in your face and thought you were a nutball. Five years ago, I couldn't even imagine being done with AP US history (my least favorite class of my entire high school experience, including Calculus)! Back then, I was convinced that I was going to work hard and get through high school and go away to college and I would instantly meet my one true love and I would have my two best friends beside me always and life would be blissful and I would be ignorant. Yes, that does happen for some people, but not for me.

I didn't go away to college. I didn't even go TO college. Which it took me a long time to get to be okay with that. I haven't met THE ONE yet. I mean, there are contenders that our amazing relationship really only exists in my head right now, but hey, I'm working on it. Guys are kind of scary for me. I still haven't completely gotten over my awkward Jr. High phase yet, I guess. At least when it comes to guys that I LIKE. I don't even TALK to my two best friends from high school. Which is fine, because none of us are the same people we were in high school and the people we became don't really mesh the same way. Life is certainly not a constant state of bliss, and I sincerely hope that I am not an ignorant swine.

What I DID do though, was figure out what MY values are, independent of my family and friends and church. I learned more about who I am, and what makes me tick. I met new people, and tried new things. I did things that scared me, and made me feel uncomfortable (in the healthy way, not the terrible way). I found people that I wouldn't trade for the world. I grew up faster and sooner than I ever thought I would. I discovered the sure way to calm my nerves. I came to love myself in a way that I never knew was possible. I had a job that I didn't really like. And I have a job that I really DO like. And I work with people that I think are fantastic. If you had told me even a year ago that this is what my life would be right now, I wouldn't have believed you.

But isn't that always the truth? No matter how much we plan for the future, and what's going to happen in said future, we never really know what's going to happen. There are so many variables and outside forces that we have no way to predict anything. We can't even predict ourselves, as we are constantly evolving. Forever malleable. 

Instead of looking at what we HAVEN'T done, look at what we HAVE done. Look at how and who the Lord blessed us with. Look at the amazing things that you did. And look at where it's taken you, somewhere you never imagined possible. Because when you look at your life, really look at it... Life can be pretty amazing. :)

Cheers!
     Reille K.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me. :)