Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"The Unicorn Club"

Cheers to a sliiiightly controversial/political post, if it's too blunt for you well... then don't read it.

Just to preface this post, I'll let you in on a little something... I'm LDS. Otherwise known as "Mormon", a nickname that we are commonly known as because we read {and believe in} the Book of Mormon. We believe in Eternal Families {yes, being with your family and loved ones even after you die!}, and we also believe that marriage, especially of the eternal sort, is between a man and a woman. Now, we believe in [AGENCY] too, and [REPENTANCE], both of which I personally feel are a big part of what I want to say today. {I'll try not to be preach-y.}

Once upon a time, a BIG current event right now is [[Gay Marriage]]. And everyone thinks its this huge deal and it's a slippery slope and blah blah blah. Well, here's my opinion: Let them be wed! It's their life and they can make whatever choices they want to make. And guess what? It's not MY place to judge them for their choices and actions and how they want to live their life, just like they shouldn't (and probably don't) judge me for how I choose to live my life. Now, this isn't to say that I disagree with my church, because on the opposite hand of my thinking it's okay for gays and lesbians to get married, I wouldn't want them to get married in the temple. It's totally different than what they really want from the marriage thing anyway. But really? Let them be able to visit each other in the hospital. It's really not THAT big of a deal to let them do that. And all those other legal things that is really all they mostly want from the whole "marriage" deal.

Anyway. Here is a blog post that I came across on Facebook, and it's pretty amazing. It's about a man who is homosexual and also happily married. To his WIFE. I had always wondered about this, whether it ever happened, how they did it, how the wife felt, etc. And their post gave me a little insight into it and is also just a really cute story. Here it is if you'd like to also read it and be COMPLETELY amazed by their story. I think it's adorable. :) (also where the whole "Unicorn Club" thing came from. I wasn't aware that this was a thing until I read it.)

I'm Christian Unless you're Gay is also a blog post about gays and Christianity... it was controversial enough that my humanities teacher had to get approval from the principal to have us read it as an assignment, and he was SUUUPER reluctant to let it happen. Personally, I love it. I think it's not just about gays and how we treat them, but about how we treat people who are simply DIFFERENT than we are.

2 comments:

  1. i read both posts, and i love the "i'm christian unless you're gay" one. i read that one a while ago, and it seriously changed my perspective. people -- especially those from utah -- need to read that one; it's seriously so amazing. :) hope your summer is going well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly how I felt about "I'm Christian unless You're Gay" too! And thanks! I hope your summer is treatin' you right as well! :)

      Delete

Talk to me. :)